Ancestral Trails 2016 » Joseph VINE (1893-1960)

Persoonlijke gegevens Joseph VINE 

Bronnen 1, 2, 3, 4, 5
  • Hij is geboren op 30 mei 1893 in Henlow, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.Bronnen 1, 3, 4, 6
  • Beroep: in het jaar 1939 Mental Nurse in 26 House Lane, Arlesey.
  • Woonachtig:
    • augustus 1959: 26 House Lane, Arlesey, Bedfordshire.
    • in het jaar 1901: Henlow, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.Bron 4
    • in het jaar 1951: 26 House Lane, Arlesey, Bedfordshire.Bron 5
    • in het jaar 1939: 26 House Lane, Arlesey, Biggleswade, Bedfordshire.Bron 3
    • november 1950: 26 House Lane, Arlesey, Bedfordshire.
  • Hij is overleden in het jaar 1960 in 26 House Lane, Arlesey, Bedfordshire, hij was toen 66 jaar oud.Bron 1
  • Een kind van Walter VINE en ELLEN GOLDSMITH

Gezin van Joseph VINE

Hij is getrouwd met Edith KEMP.

Zij zijn getrouwd in het jaar 1921 te Stone, Buckinghamshire, hij was toen 27 jaar oud.Bron 7


Kind(eren):

  1. Violet May VINE  1923-2011
  2. Josephine E VINE  1930-2002 
  3. Ellen Bessie VINE  1921-1996


Notities over Joseph VINE

1901 aged 7, living at High Street, Henlow with his parents and siblings Albert, Emma, Ellen, Wilfred, Samuel, Jessie and Victoria, and stepbrother Ernest.

1939 aged 46, living at 26 House Lane, Arlesey with his wife, Edith 38 [auntie Edie] and daughter Ellen B Vine 18. [Auntie Bessie]

Uncle Joe became a male nurse and worked at the Three Counties Asylum for many years. I spent many wonderful summers at Arlesey with uncle Joe and Auntie Edie and family.

The Three Counties Asylum The 1808 Lunacy Act empowered counties to build asylums out of the rates, and Samuel Whitbread II, one of the leading lights behind the construction of the Infirmary, was determined that Bedfordshire should have one equipped to the best standards of the day. The Original building known as the Bedford Asylum Ampthill Road was designed by John Wing and opened in April 1812 and is recorded as the second of its kind in the country, Northampton opened an Asylum in 1811 being the first purpose built building. These Asylums had been built due to an act of Parliament of 1808 which was not compulsory. The Bedford Asylum cost some £13,000 to build and could only accommodate some 65 inmates. The 1845 Act for the Regulation, Care and Treatment of Lunatics made it compulsory for each County to provide an Asylum or combine with other counties for the care of its pauper lunatics, and so in 1846 Bedford, Hertford and Huntingdon agreed to fund the Asylum jointly so it became known as The Three Counties Asylum incarcerating all the lunatics, delusionals, psychotics at Bedford. As admissions to the Asylum increased, so did the calls for a larger building or extensions to the building on Ampthill Road, Bedford. Then in 1853 an act was passed by Parliament that banned the use of all restraining devices for lunatics in workhouses. This lead to a sharp increase in the number of lunatics transferred from workhouses into the Asylums. Pressure for more accommodation space mounted at the old Three Counties Asylum which became more over crowded. An architect named George Fowler Jones was instructed to draw up plans for the new Asylum that would be built on a plot of land located between Arlesey and Stotfold, Bedfordshire which became known as The Arlesey Three Counties Asylum. The land consisted of 253 acres of which 230 acres were cultivated, and the Asylum was an extensive and elegant yellow brick building standing upon ground 67.6Mtr above sea level. The clay used for the bricks came from the Green Lagoon just behind the plot of land. The foundation stone for the new Asylum was laid in 1856 then In 1860 The newly built asylum was opened on the 8th March with the first patients of six women and six men being transferred from the old Bedford Three Counties Asylum on the Ampthill Road In 1861 it is recorded the number had increased to 460 made up of 248 women and 212 men being held in the Asylum, during that year 44 patients had been discharged and 47 had died. The people of Arlesey and Stotfold took most of the places of employment. The records show on average 125 men and 131 women were regularly employed, of these 66 men were employed in the gardening department including the small farm while 33 women worked regularly in the laundry and wash house. Treatment of the inmates consisted primarily of regulated diet and daily work usually within the Asylum building consisting of working in the laundry or cleaning, and outside work on the farm, where produce for the kitchen was grown. Further extensions were made to the buildings, and a Chapel was erected for the inmates in 1879. By 1894 the Asylum could accommodate 1,000 patients who were under the care of Edward Swain, Medical Superintendent ably assisted by Miss Teresa H. Tweddle, Matron and Farm Bailiff Henry W. Brown. In 1920 the Chapel's East stained window was erected by the Staff and inmates in memory of those connected with the Asylum who lost their lives in the Great War (1914-1918). After and during the Great War (1914-1918) the Asylum took in men and women suffering with shell shock, Social Policy led to increasing improvements in the care of Mental Health . Then in 1930 the Mental Treatment Act changed the use of the term Asylum to Hospital so became known as The Three Counties Hospital. By 1936 the grounds of the hospital had increased, records show it consisted consisted of 410 acres, of which 385 acres were cultivated. The hospital patients had increased by a further 100, who were now under the care of Doctor N. McDiarmid, Medical Superintendent, Miss E. M. Field the Chief Female Officer and Mr. T. Hartles the Farm Bailiff. In 1948 the Hospital became part of the National Health Service, and was renamed Fairfield Hospital in 1960. In the same year Fairfield Hospital hit the national news as the Hospital Chaplain the reverend John Arthur Monk married a girl forty years his junior. The Government published “Care in the Community” in 1981 leading to a great change in the provision of care for patients with Mental Health problems. The report recommended the patients be placed back into the community which ultimately lead to the closure of Fairfield Hospital which finally closed in 1999. The main building with its water towers is a Grade II listed, the façade was restored and the inside turned into luxury flats and re-named Fairfield Hall, but to the locals it will always be Fairfield Hospital or Three Counties. The one thing that will not be missed is the fire siren that was heard for miles around, some thought was the signal a patient had escaped.
SOURCE: Frank Cooke at http://homepage.ntlworld.com:80/frank.cooke/fairfield.htm

Heeft u aanvullingen, correcties of vragen met betrekking tot Joseph VINE?
De auteur van deze publicatie hoort het graag van u!


Tijdbalk Joseph VINE

  Deze functionaliteit is alleen beschikbaar voor browsers met Javascript ondersteuning.
Klik op de namen voor meer informatie. Gebruikte symbolen: grootouders grootouders   ouders ouders   broers-zussen broers/zussen   kinderen kinderen

Voorouders (en nakomelingen) van Joseph VINE

Joseph VINE
1815-1884
JAMES WALKER
1841-1920
Walter VINE
1857-1914

Joseph VINE
1893-1960

1921

Edith KEMP
1901-1966


Via Snelzoeken kunt u zoeken op naam, voornaam gevolgd door een achternaam. U typt enkele letters in (minimaal 3) en direct verschijnt er een lijst met persoonsnamen binnen deze publicatie. Hoe meer letters u intypt hoe specifieker de resultaten. Klik op een persoonsnaam om naar de pagina van die persoon te gaan.

  • Of u kleine letters of hoofdletters intypt maak niet uit.
  • Wanneer u niet zeker bent over de voornaam of exacte schrijfwijze dan kunt u een sterretje (*) gebruiken. Voorbeeld: "*ornelis de b*r" vindt zowel "cornelis de boer" als "kornelis de buur".
  • Het is niet mogelijk om tekens anders dan het alfabet in te voeren (dus ook geen diacritische tekens als ö en é).



Visualiseer een andere verwantschap

Bronnen

  1. England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2005, Ancestry.com
    Birth date: abt 1894 Birth place: Death date: Mar 1960 Death place: Biggleswade, Bedfordshire, England
    / Ancestry.co.uk
  2. (Niet openbaar)
  3. (Niet openbaar)
  4. 1901 England Census, Ancestry.com, Class: RG13; Piece: 1498; Folio: 106; Page: 18.
    Birth date: abt 1894 Birth place: Henlow, Bedfordshire, England Residence date: 1901 Residence place: Henlow, Bedfordshire, England
    / Ancestry.co.uk
  5. (Niet openbaar)
  6. Free BMD Birth Index;
    Sep Qtr 1893 Biggleswade 3b 339
  7. (Niet openbaar)

Historische gebeurtenissen

  • De temperatuur op 30 mei 1893 lag rond de 12,1 °C. De luchtdruk bedroeg 76 cm kwik. De relatieve luchtvochtigheid was 64%. Bron: KNMI
  • Koningin Wilhelmina (Huis van Oranje-Nassau) was van 1890 tot 1948 vorst van Nederland (ook wel Koninkrijk der Nederlanden genoemd)
  • Regentes Emma (Huis van Oranje-Nassau) was van 1890 tot 1898 vorst van Nederland (ook wel Koninkrijk der Nederlanden genoemd)
  • Van 21 augustus 1891 tot 9 mei 1894 was er in Nederland het kabinet Van Tienhoven met als eerste minister Mr. G. van Tienhoven (unie-liberaal).
  • In het jaar 1893: Bron: Wikipedia
    • Nederland had zo'n 5,1 miljoen inwoners.
    • 1 februari » Première van de opera Manon Lescaut van Giacomo Puccini in Turijn.
    • 25 juli » Opening van het Kanaal van Korinthe.
    • 11 augustus » De Amerikaan Arthur Augustus Zimmerman wordt in Chicago (Illinois) de eerste wereldkampioen wielrennen op de baan.
    • 19 september » De vrouwen in Nieuw-Zeeland krijgen stemrecht.
    • 15 november » Oprichting van de Zwitserse voetbalclub FC Basel.
    • 16 december » Wereldpremière van Antonín Dvořáks symfonie Uit de Nieuwe Wereld


Dezelfde geboorte/sterftedag

Bron: Wikipedia


Over de familienaam VINE

  • Bekijk de informatie die Genealogie Online heeft over de familienaam VINE.
  • Bekijk de informatie die Open Archieven heeft over VINE.
  • Bekijk in het Wie (onder)zoekt wie? register wie de familienaam VINE (onder)zoekt.

Wilt u bij het overnemen van gegevens uit deze stamboom alstublieft een verwijzing naar de herkomst opnemen:
Patti Lee Salter, "Ancestral Trails 2016", database, Genealogie Online (https://www.genealogieonline.nl/ancestral-trails-2016/I79991.php : benaderd 16 maart 2026), "Joseph VINE (1893-1960)".