Over de plaats » Great Carlton, Lincolnshire, England, Groot Brittannië


Archiefstukken uit Great Carlton

Great Carlton is a village and civil parish about 6 miles south east of the town of Louth, Lincolnshire, England. Great Carlton was referred to in Domesday Book as Magna Carleton. The name Carlton derives from the Old English Ceorlatun meaning the village of the free peasants, from the word ceorl meaning free peasant. There was a market granted to Great Carlton in 1275. The parish church is dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, and was largely rebuilt in 1861 by James Fowler in a thirteenth century style, although it retains its 15th century Perpendicular tower. It is a Grade II listed building. The Grade II listed church lychgate dates from 1871 and was erected by Canon Pretyman. Great Carlton CE School was founded in 1716 as Great Carlton Free School. It later became a National School, and by 1906 it was simply known as Great Carlton School. It closed in the summer of 1976.

Geonames logo

Great Carlton
Lincolnshire
England
Groot Brittannië
Vlag van Groot Brittannië


Wikipedia logo

Meer informatie over deze plaats vindt u in Wikipedia